According to a LinkedIn post by Steve King, director of cybersecurity services at Information Security Media Group, we can expect a dramatic increase in cybersecurity breaches in the first quarter of 2020. In making this prediction, King presents the following statistics:
- As of 2018, 70% of professionals conducted work on their own smart devices.
- In 2020 1 million IoT (Internet of Things) devices will go online every hour.
- 60% of Global 2000 companies will double their productivity in 2020 by moving to software-based delivery.
- External cloud adoption will increase from 22% to 32.1% in 24 months.
- By 2020 global internet traffic will be 95 times as great as in 2005.
- Traffic from wireless and mobile devices will account for 66% of total IP traffic in 2020.
All these trends will result in increased speed, and also increased risk.Edge computing and 5G technology combined with AI-enhanced systems will enable cyber criminals to strike in ways previously unseen, including new Zero Day exploits.
Cybersecurity professionals must make identity risk management and increased threat visibility their top priorities. Mismanaged credentials and passwords are the weakest link in cybersecurity defense, and identity compromise will continue to enable most cyber attacks.